Online gadget site ThinkGeek has created its own add-on keyboard for the iPhone. The TK-421 fits around the iPhone like a case and then swivels open to reveal a full QWERTY pad.
ThinkGeek has developed the TK-421 (its a Star Wars reference. They are nerds) for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, unfortunately the iPhone 3 doesn’t have support for a Bluetooth keyboard.
The TK-421 looks like a surprisingly snug and low-profile shell case when closed, but open it up with a twist and it revolves through 180 degrees (see graphic below) and becomes a full QWERTY keypad with a row of number keys and a couple of ALT/SHIFT keys too.
As there is no physical link to the phone the TK-421 needs to pack its own power supply – in this case an internal battery chargeable via USB.
Register your order for the TK-421 keypad from ThinkGeek now here, as it’s sure to be in short supply, especially at the very reasonable price of $49.99. Unfortunately it won’t be available until November.
Product Features include;
- Give your iPhone a real flip-out tactile keyboard
- Keyboard flips out for use, then flips back in when done
- Magnet based clasp keeps keyboard in position whether flipped in or out
- Increased typing accuracy and speed
- Works with any app such as e-mail, web browsing, notes, and calendar
- Completely wireless Bluetooth connection does not use dock connector
- Keyboard powered by built in rechargeable battery, recharges via included USB cable
Alternatively there’s also the nuu Mini-key http://www.nuumedia.com/iiip_mk.html which looks very similar but only works on the iPhone 4 and is also as yet unavailable – it will be supposedly available from the end of the year for around $60.[ad name=”Google Text half banner advert “]